Affordable Flying
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Affordable Flying

A place to discuss affordable aircraft from ultralights to general aviation

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sky Raider

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Chicofan

Sky Raider Empty
PostSubject: Sky Raider   Sky Raider Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 2:48 am

My ELSA is a Sky Raider 1 with a 503 single carb DCDI Rotax engine and an IVO prop. It includes a BRS. The builder didn't worry much about building it light and the empty weight is circa 440 lbs. Since mine had the 503 and 2- 5 gal. tanks I knew I was committed to transitition it to ELSA when I bought it.
Sky Raider Ec_rig11

I noticed Flydiver is looking at a Sky Raider that is allegedly a legal 103 UL. It has to be built very light and can't have much more than a Rotax 277 or a Zenoah G25B to make weight, IMO. There are legal ULs available (like the CGS Hawk UL) but they are no frills machines.
Back to top Go down
http://joecook01.tripod.com/SkyRaider/SkyRaider.html
Chris
Admin

Sky Raider Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sky Raider   Sky Raider Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 12:54 pm

chicofan,

fly diver's post is exactly why I asked you to post yoy weight and power setup. I just dont want anyone spending money on a plane without knowing for sure that it is legal. when I bought my Legal Eagle, I took scales and verified the owners advertised weight.

Happy flying
chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.com/rcpilotcd@sbcglobal.net/Home.html
FlyDiver

FlyDiver

Sky Raider Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sky Raider   Sky Raider Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 6:18 pm

I will be at the Skyraider factory the last week of August. Owner promises a 103 legal that I can weight and I promised to bring my scale. I much prefer getting close enough for the horse to bite me. Everything else is annecdotal or pure speculation. I will be certain to post the results. BTW, the owner claimed that aircraft, sans engine can be gotten down to 180 lbs. Great if he can prove it.

Art
Back to top Go down
http://www.flydiver.com
kmccune

kmccune

Sky Raider Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sky Raider   Sky Raider Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 5:05 pm

I've been wondering about the old fat UL or trainer UL's out there. I has seen a bunch of them for sale with out N-numbers, very cheap! It just seems to me that there needs to be ( I know there isn't any more) a vehicle to get an N number on these things. I know the FAA is a government body and as such, is slow as snails, but it people are selling these things. It makes me think that they ,the buyers are just pretending to build them new, and are prettying them up, for inspection, or that they are just going out flying? The other side is of course as stated... it is sold as a part 103 and its not. The buyer is they have proof has some recourse, but by then its lawyer time and they cost more money. Better in my opinion to make them convertible to N numbering and be done with it...ah the Government, ain't it grand!

Kevin
Back to top Go down
Greg Mueller

Greg Mueller

Sky Raider Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sky Raider   Sky Raider Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 6:13 pm

I believe the days of conversion are gone
Back to top Go down
kmccune

kmccune

Sky Raider Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sky Raider   Sky Raider Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 11:07 pm

Like I said above, I know that. But there really needs to be a legal way.

Kevin

PS didn't mean to steer the post it just popped into my head, I have been thinking a lot about it, when I see them for sale.
Back to top Go down
FlyDiver

FlyDiver

Sky Raider Empty
PostSubject: Flying a SkyRaider   Sky Raider Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 10:48 am

Chicofan:

I will be most likely be buying a single seat SkyRaider. After some dual refresher training in a taildragger (won't be a SkyRaider) I will have to strap into the single seater and fly it. I would be most gratefull for any advice regarding the Skyraider. So far I have been told that there is little rudder authority below 30mph and one must master the heel brakes in high speed taxi BEFORE attempting takeoff. Anything else you have experienced?

Thanks in advance,

Art
Back to top Go down
http://www.flydiver.com
Chicofan

Sky Raider Empty
PostSubject: SR Brakes   Sky Raider Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 8:52 pm

Well, the heel brakes do take a little familiarization, especially if all your tail dragger time is in Cessnas with toe brakes. Neutral And, I must say, I prefer the toe brakes. I recommend some practice on an open ramp or pad before your first flight, for sure. It doesn't have to be "high speed", but you need to determine how hard you can turn before the detent drops out and releases the tail wheel. You definitely need to use the brakes for short radius turns on the ground and to hold against a stiff cross wind while taxiing.

However, I didn't find brakes necessary for takeoff (or landing) at all. I have a Matco tail wheel with detent and it has a direct (with springs) connection to the rudder up to the point of detent release. And on takeoff you can easily keep it straight with the rudder/tail wheel combo for the short time until you are flying (and I mean short time). It will accelerate to flying speed in just a few seconds and you will be off the ground.

On landing I can keep it rolling out straight (with little or no crosswind) with the rudder alone. With crosswind conditions there will be times when the brakes will be necessary to save it (I've done that many times in the Cessnas of my prior experience, i.e., 120s, 140s and 170s) and you will need the skill to use the heel brakes. BTW, I think the heel brakes are common to the Avid, Kitfox and Ridge Runner as well. I checked out in a Super Cub (way back) and it also had heel brakes.

So, bottom line is, get familiar with the heel brakes, but that is easily done and not a big deal. Otherwise, the SR has no peculiar bad habits, that I am aware of, and seems pretty conventional in all respects.

Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joecook01.tripod.com/SkyRaider/SkyRaider.html
Sponsored content

Sky Raider Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sky Raider   Sky Raider Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sky Raider
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Affordable Flying :: Light Sport Aircraft-
Jump to: