Affordable Flying

A place to discuss affordable aircraft from ultralights to general aviation

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

splicing parts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jerimac1941

PostSubject: splicing parts   Mon May 10, 2010 1:07 pm

I eant to build but geting the full length tubing(12 ft pieces)is difficult. the shipping is out ragious. I know and understand it will add weight but can I splice the square tubing and tubes in wing with out loosing any strengthor weakening the structures??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris
Admin

PostSubject: Re: splicing parts   Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:01 pm

Aluminum or steel tubing, what plane are you building and where will the joints be located?

Chris

3 things that dont matter altitude above you runway behind you and the gas back at the hanger

takeoff is optional landing is mandatory

Fly only in the middle of the air, the edges are identified by buildings trees and houses, and it is much more difficult to fly there.

It is better to be on the ground wishing you were flying then flying and wishing you were on the ground!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.geocities.com/rcpilotcd@sbcglobal.net/Home.html
jerimac1941

PostSubject: Re: splicing parts   Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:25 pm

the afford a plane and on the tail section. could not get 12 lengths just 8 needto splice96 in to make 110.5in
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PaulS

PostSubject: Re: splicing parts   Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:09 pm

jerimac1941 wrote:
the afford a plane and on the tail section. could not get 12 lengths just 8 needto splice96 in to make 110.5in
As I understand it splices are ok but they have to meet the 10 to 1 rule where the splice has to be 10 times as long as the thickess of the parts you are joining. Splicing two pieces of 1" tube you would need to cut diagonally 10 inches in the joint and weld them together (following standard post welding practices for the metal in use). I don't know whether a slip tube (over or inside) the other tube would work due to the stress applied at the end of the tube.
I am just a model builder learning construction as I go so I may be way off base here.
Paul
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: splicing parts   

Back to top Go down

splicing parts
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1