Affordable Flying
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Affordable Flying

A place to discuss affordable aircraft from ultralights to general aviation

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New Member - Hirth F33A powered MiniMAX 1103R (Ser # 173)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ksatter

New Member - Hirth F33A powered  MiniMAX 1103R (Ser # 173) Empty
PostSubject: New Member - Hirth F33A powered MiniMAX 1103R (Ser # 173)   New Member - Hirth F33A powered  MiniMAX 1103R (Ser # 173) Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 2:37 pm

Recently completed a Hirth F33 (electric start) powered miniMAX 1103R using a 3-b laded IVOprop (ground adjustable). Starting taxi testing here in nort Texas soon (if the winds ever calm down).
Back to top Go down
Chris
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Hirth F33A powered MiniMAX 1103R (Ser # 173)   New Member - Hirth F33A powered  MiniMAX 1103R (Ser # 173) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 12:05 am

I know..... I know..... I haven't been around the forum for ages. Have you flown the max yet? I am currently flying a mini 1100 / 1300 hybrid.

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.com/rcpilotcd@sbcglobal.net/Home.html
Ksatter

PostSubject: miniMAX 1103R Ser #173   New Member - Hirth F33A powered  MiniMAX 1103R (Ser # 173) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 10:22 am

I had started the bird in April '07 in north Louisiana then retired later in '07 and moved to north TX (Wylie, NE Dallas metroplex). I ORIGINALLY completed it in Nov. '08 but found that the hardest part of the project was finding hangar space. That took almost 3 months and I finally had to settle for McKinney, TX (almost 30 miles NW). I got it moed ther and completed the rigging, etc. by mid-Feb. '09. I started taxi tests hrn I thought the north TX winds would allow. However, in early April, after I got out of the bird, a gust of wind turned her over ripping the starboard wing from the fuselage and the engine out (destroying only one blade of the IVOprop. I had to dismantle her and take her back to my garage in Wylie to do "repairs".

With the engine mount and cockpit carry through areas destroyed, I built a new fuselage, beefing up the engine mount and slightly chainging the aft turtledeck structure from the original. This fuselage went together much more quickly (learing curve from the original) and I had her back at Areo Country airfield in late July. Since then the north TX winds seem to be constantly too gusty and I've been fighting engine electrical problems ... turns out that my "new" Odessey battery was dead and wouldn't take a charge. It was under waranty and the Interstate Battery folks were quick with a replacement. However, I'm presently tracking down a possible wiring problem as I still get no spark to the plugs. As soona s ai finish this, I'm off to the field to track the problem.

I'm told that the winds will die down in the fall and that early mornigs and late evenings are the best flying times for LSA's. I'm looking forward to it.

This is my 2nd project. I had a Fly Baby (in New Orleans) almost completed (mount/plumb 65 Franklin remaining) when hurricane Katrina came through ... we couldn't even find it ... a real bummer.

Kurt
Back to top Go down
Chris
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Hirth F33A powered MiniMAX 1103R (Ser # 173)   New Member - Hirth F33A powered  MiniMAX 1103R (Ser # 173) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 2:54 pm

That sucks!! Shocked First the Fly Baby then the max! maybe you should burn more sage to appease the weather gods Rolling Eyes
I wish you the best of luck in getting the max back in the air. How windy is it in north tx? I know my max will fly in 25mph with gusts to around 30 but taxiing cross wind always scares me. If it is over 30 I wouldn't even pull it out of the hanger.

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.com/rcpilotcd@sbcglobal.net/Home.html
Ksatter

PostSubject: Spark problem narrowed down to coil connections   New Member - Hirth F33A powered  MiniMAX 1103R (Ser # 173) Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 3:58 pm

I just got back from the airfield. Looks like the connections from the coil to the plugs are the root of the problem. I'm going to replace the cable connectors. I also replaced the denso plugs with new Autolite plugs just incase ....

20-25 mph with 30-35 mph gusts. Mostly straight down the runway, but it's those freak quarterlies that got me. My bird is only 490 lbs with me in it ...

I hope to get more pictures when I get back from vacation in Sept. If the north Texas Wind Gods play along.

Kurt
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Member - Hirth F33A powered MiniMAX 1103R (Ser # 173)   New Member - Hirth F33A powered  MiniMAX 1103R (Ser # 173) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Member - Hirth F33A powered MiniMAX 1103R (Ser # 173)
Page 1 of 1