Affordable Flying
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Affordable Flying

A place to discuss affordable aircraft from ultralights to general aviation

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Greg Mueller

Greg Mueller

Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ?   Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 12:17 am

I just acquired one and wondered if anyone has tried one for aircraft use. What did you do and how did it work?
Back to top Go down
J.D. Rexroad

PostSubject: Re: Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ?   Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 6:34 am

The Kolher M 20 engine is a very tough and reliable engine. Heavy engine. There is not much you can strip off of it to lighten it up. Its use in small air boats at first found that direct drive props pushed the crank into the case and caused to much damage or it would break the crank from the acceleration or decceleration innersha torque between flywheel and prop. Kolher does not recomend it uses for any propeller application
Nebr prop buster!
Back to top Go down
Chris
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ?   Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 8:40 am

so it must be fitted with a reduction drive?

Chris
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocities.com/rcpilotcd@sbcglobal.net/Home.html
Greg Mueller

Greg Mueller

PostSubject: Re: Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ?   Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 10:03 am

That flywheel/fan has got to weigh a ton. I haven't opened it up yet so I'm just guessing. If I do away with the starter and make an aluminum fly wheel to hold the magnet. Get rid of the alternator. Maybe go to dual carbs???
Back to top Go down
Chris
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ?   Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 10:41 am

Do that add a reduction drive and strip every ounce of weight and I think you will have a reliable gas sipping engine.

Chris
Back to top Go down
Greg Mueller

Greg Mueller

PostSubject: Re: Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ?   Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 5:12 pm

I have never seen anything like that fly wheel. It truly does weigh a ton.

I guess I can turn the existing flywheel down to it's hub and use that to build an aluminum flywheel on, but I wonder if there's anyone selling a tapered shaft hub out there.

Carburetors

How does one determine what carburetor to use in any given situation?
A pair of down draft carbs would eliminate a lot of funky junk on the top of this engine, and give a little boost in hp.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ?   Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 9:41 pm

Greg,
any progress with this engine yet?

Chris
Back to top Go down
Greg Mueller

Greg Mueller

PostSubject: Re: Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ?   Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 10:14 am

I have not had a chance to mess with it in the last week or so.
I am concerned that it might not be enough to power the MonoFly at the 7500' that I'll be living at in NM.
I'm wondering if I should invest my time in a 4A084.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ?   Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 10:53 am

Greg, A 4A084 would work but might be a little heavy. have you considered a half VW www.betterhalfvw.com or a generac conversion www.culverprops.com I have nothing but good things to say about the generac.

Chris
Back to top Go down
Greg Mueller

Greg Mueller

PostSubject: Re: Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ?   Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 11:03 am

The stripped weight of the 4A084 is supposed to be about 125 lbs, so it is probably heavier than the Generac, but the potential torque of those 4 cylinders is attractive. I looked at the half VW units (including the Mosler) and they seem pretty expensive and relatively heavy. Still have not acquired anything other than the Kohler.

The 4A084 would be an engine that you could "take with you" to another aircraft and certainly are cheap to acquire

Last edited by Greg Mueller on Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chris
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ?   Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 10, 2008 11:17 pm

Greg, I was not aware that the 4A084 was so light, the generac weighs 120 ready to fly. By all means use the 4A084 if you can find one cheap.

Chris
Back to top Go down
GeoB

PostSubject: Re: Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ?   Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 2:20 pm

I'll bet that M20 is a VERY durable engine. Expensive, too.

I have a similar Onan. Mine weighs 75 lbs with carb, intake, govenor, stator, complete block & heads. WITHOUT shrouds, starter, flywheel, coil, battery, fuel pump, exhaust system, air cleaner.

I am planning to work with it a bit to see how much more low-end power I can get out of it. At 60 ci it seems a better engine to start modifying than something like the 2A042, which has less displacement (42 ci).

I also have a big heavy flywheel, which contains the magnets. Mine looks like I can turn it down on a lathe so that I have left only a much smaller flywheel, sort of inverted bowl shaped. It may turn out to be too heavy, we'll see.

If you are still considering engines, take a look at the Honda GX390. Kart folks use them all the time. Lots of hop-up stuff available. LIGHT engine, for its power.

If I can find one to fool with I want to look over the Briggs 500cc single, although it seems to come in only vertical shaft. It has some kind of integral balancing mechanism. Pretty cheap, 20 hp stock. Pretty light. I am sorta wondering if the 390 after-market cams will fit...

GeoB
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ?   Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone experiment with a Kohler M20S ?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Affordable Flying :: Engines-
Jump to: